Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Shanti Mantras or "Peace Mantras"

Namaste, Hari Om,

Below words and data is from a very nicely written page on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanti_Mantra it discusses Shanti Mantras.

If you are ever feeling unease, please repeat a Shanti Mantra, even if its, ''Om Shanti Om'', feel it and be it.
________
The Shanti Mantras or "Peace Mantras" are Hindu prayers for Peace (Shanti) from the Vedas. Generally they are recited at the beginning and end of religious rituals and discourses.

Shanti Mantras always end with three utterances of word "Shanti" which means "Peace". The Reason for uttering three times is for calming and removing obstacles in three realms which are:     
- "Physical" or Adhi-Bhautika,    
- "Divine" or Adhi-Daivika and   
-  "Internal" or Adhyaatmika 

According to the scriptures of Hinduism sources of obstacles and troubles are in these three realms.     

- Physical or Adhi-Bhautika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from external world, such as from wild animals, people, natural calamities etc.    
- Divine or Adhi-Daivika realm can be source of troubles/obstacles coming from extra-sensory world of spirits, ghosts, deities, demigods/angels etc.    
- Internal or Adhyaatmika realm is source of troubles/obstacles arising out of one's own body and mind, such as pain, diseases, laziness, absent-mindedness etc. 

These are called "Tapa-Traya" or three classes of troubles. When Shanti mantras are recited, obstacles from these realms are believed to be pacified.

Sample Below;


Aitareya Upanishad

oṃ vāṅ me manasi pratiṣṭhitā mano me vāci pratiṣṭhita-māvīrāvīrma edhi | vedasya ma āṇisthaḥ śrutaṃ me mā prahāsīranenādhītenāhorātrān saṃdadhāmyṛtam vadiṣyāmi satyaṃ vadiṣyāmi tanmāmavatu tadvaktāramavatvavatu māmavatu vaktāramavatu vaktāram | oṃ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ ||


Om ! May my speech be based on (i.e. accord with) the mind; May my mind be based on speech. O Self-effulgent One, reveal Thyself to me. May you both (speech and mind) be the carriers of the Veda to me. May not all that I have heard depart from me. I shall join together (i.e. obliterate the difference of) day And night through this study. I shall utter what is verbally true; I shall utter what is mentally true. May that (Brahman) protect me; May That protect the speaker (i.e. the teacher), may That protect me; May that protect the speaker – may That protect the speaker. Om ! Peace ! Peace ! Peace !

No comments:

Post a Comment